- 200 g chickpea flour (gram flour, besan)
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 400 ml water
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Ground pepper
- Tip the chickpea flour, salt and rosemary into a large bowl and slowly whisk in the water until you have a loose, lump-free batter. Rest the batter for at least an hour and up to 12.
- Preheat the oven to 220 celsius.
- Take a large flat tin or oven-proof frying pan and heat it up in the oven or on the hob.
- Skim off any froth from the top of the batter and then stir in most of the olive oil.
- Add the remaining oil to the hot pan, swirling it to create a non-stick surface. Now tip in the batter to a depth of about 1cm/just under 1⁄2 and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the surface of the farinata is crisp and bubbling.
- Give it a few turns of the pepper mill, slice up with a pizza cutter and serve right away.