Red Lentil Coconut Curry
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli finely chopped (discard seeds)
- 2 cups cups water
- 1,5 cups cups dried red lentils
- 400 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 medium baby marrow (450g total) diced
- 1 cup coriander sprigs
- Cook the onion in oil in a heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the edges are golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic, and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Then add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and chilli and continue cooking for another minute, continuing to stir.
- Stir in the water, lentils, and coconut milk. Let the mixture simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the zucchini and simmer, covered, until the lentils and baby marrow are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve with coriander sprigs scattered on top.
Variation: Substitute chopped kale for the zucchini, if desired. Recipe from epicurious.com Photograph Meredith Lee/The HSUS