Umfino Spinach Pie
Recipe credit: Nomkhita Sontsonga for HSI / Africa, Seed to Table recipe book
- 200 g spinach finely chopped
- 200 g nettles, (or any other leafy green) finely chopped
- 500 g mixed vegetables (like peas, carrots, turnips) finely chopped
- 1½ cup mealie meal
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- herbs and spices optional
- Mix the Mealie meal with water and set aside
- Throw all the chopped vegetables in a pot with a little bit of water and a little bit of oil
- Add the spinach and nettles and allow to steam for about 10 minutes, or until most of the water is released.
- Add the soaked mealie meal to the pot.
- Cover and let it cook for about 3 – 4 more minutes, until the mealie meal becomes soft.
- Stir the entire pot’s contents and let it cook for another few minutes.
- Serve as soon as the vegetables are soft.
- Add any other herbs and spices that you like.