Veg Moroccan Tagine
- 1 large butternut, peeled deseeded and cubed
- 6 carrots chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 cm ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 red chilli
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp maple syrup or sugar
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- zest of one lemon
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil for frying
- In a large pot or a very deep pan, drizzle some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and allow to cook for 5 minutes until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and fresh ginger and sauté for 1 minute, then add all the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the butternut (that has been peeled, deseeded and cubed) and the chopped carrots. Stir well into the spices to coat all the pieces and allow to get browned slightly - turn up the heat if necessary.
- Pour over the stock and maple syrup/sugar and allow the pot to simmer for 40 minutes, stir occasionally. The stock will cook down, add a little water if needed. You are looking for a rich, thick sauce coating the butternut and carrots.
- Scatter torn coriander leaves and the lemon zest before serving hot. Serve over rice or couscous if desired.
Recipe Credit: Edible Beyond Groceries for HSI, Africa Image Credit: www.onegreenplanet.org